Thursday, October 15, 2009

Writing a Twitter story

A few months back Gotham Writers' Workshops ran an online Twitter story contest. To enter you had to write a short, short story in 140 characters or less. The prize was a free 6-week writing class.

I thought that was a pretty cool idea. How do you create a story with a character and a real desire in just 140 characters. I thought about for awhile and tried a few different things.

Eventually I entered the contest with the following:

Kitty looks up at me with begging eyes. Her tail lashes. Where's the crazy light I like to chase? I sigh and press the button.

I liked it. It's exactly what happens when I buy a laser pointer and bring it home to my cat. She can't get enough of it and begs me (well actually bugs me) to keep playing with her.

Unfortunately Gotham Writers' didn't agree with my evaluation. I didn't win, nor was I a runner up.

I did like the winner's entry though. Written by a woman from New Hampshire, the winning Twitter story was:

Wanting marriage, my niece sobbed, "I'd hate to be Ken's 50 year old girlfriend." At 69 and alone, Id love being 50 and Ken's girlfriend.

There were three runners up. I liked one of them and thought two weren't good at all.

The one I liked was written by a guy from Georgia:

This is agent Nix with the CIA. We've been listening to your phone calls for the last 8 months. Is this a good time to speak with you?

The two others I didn't like were:

I knew she wasn't to be trusted by the scars between her toes. Those scars had seen the worst of life, and learned to keep it all a secret.

Still and silent, until the store closes, then a snack from aisle four, some TV in aisle nine, and I try to forget about being a mannequin.


So what do you think? Want to try your hand at writing a Twitter story? Leave a comment with your attempt.

1 comment:

  1. You should check out http://www.sixwordstories.net/ . It is a similar idea. A guy I know hosts it. Some of them are kind of stupid, but there are some gems in there.

    ReplyDelete