Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Harry Potter Halloween in Ireland

I like to play a game called "I have all the money in the world." The game goes like this. I get a catalog in the mail, maybe for clothing or jewelry. Or for kids' educational toys, or for just about anything. I settle myself comfortably on my couch and begin to flip through the catalog picking out the things I would buy if money were not object.

I'm not sure why I enjoy the game so much. I mean I'm not a window shopper. I hate going to stores if I'm not going to buy anything, but somehow doing it with catalogs doesn't bother me. I find it fun to pick out things I would buy if I lived another life.

As a general rule I don't play the same game with travel because that does get me down. Pretending I have the money to take a two-week Caribbean cruise is a lot more depressing than pretending I have the money to buy a pair of earrings.

But recently I got an e-mail advertising a trip that is kinda fun to think about "what if." Maybe because its a bit over-the-top in price with very little value attached that I know I probably wouldn't do it even if I did have all the money in the world.

It's a two-day Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Halloween trip to Ashford Castle in Ireland.

Although the 13th century castle has nothing to do with Harry Potter or wizardry, it's fairy-tale feel, secret rooms, hidden alcoves and mystical setting easily conjure up the fantastical world of Harry Potter, creating a perfect Halloween destination.

The special 2-night Hogwarts Halloween program includes:

Day One:
* A visit to the hiding place of Dingle, Ashford Castle's resident owl
* Afternoon chamber of Witchcraft & Wizardry (I'm not sure what that means exactly)
* Kid's dinner in the Dungeon
* George V Table d'Hote dinner for adults
* Harry Potter movie evening

Day Two:
* Isle of Innisfree passage to Inchagoill Island via boat
* Hidden garden treasure hunt
* Kids' dinner in the Dungeon
* George V Table d'Hote dinner for adults
* Harry Potter movie evening

The two-night package is priced at approximately $690 per night for two adults and two children (under the age of 12) sharing a deluxe queen room. See what I mean by a bit over-the-top in terms of expense! Of course, I think I would feel like I was in a fairy tale if I ever got to stay there.

Just in case you want to know more about Ashford Castle, you can visit its Website at www.ashford.ie.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I like this article but..
    last night i went to the midnight premiere of harry potter and the half blood prince! I was honestly so disappointed! was it just me or did it seem very choppy and for some reason didn't feel like it was a harry potter movie. Don't get me wrong some of the parts in it were either really funny or somewhat scary but i really was not satisfied. I don't know, what did you think?? Am i wrong? Give me your opinions..

    ReplyDelete