Thursday, September 17, 2009

Survey finds Americans still traveling despit the recession

I love surveys. I don’t know why, but I just find them fascinating. I love being part of surveys and I love reading the results of surveys. I love the statistics, the bullet points, the conclusions that people draw. I love seeing myself in the surveys and comparing myself to others.

So when a press release for a new travel survey came across my e-mail, I just knew I had to compare myself to the results and share the information. The survey was done by a travel agency franchise organization called Travel Leaders. The company has store-front agencies all around the country bearing the Travel Leaders banner. Their new survey revealed the travel behavior of travelers throughout the United States, including the fact that 84% of those polled have already taken at least one leisure trip in 2009 and more than 88% plan on taking at least one leisure trip between now and the end of the year.

Pretty interesting results, considering the country is in one of its worst recessions in decades. But not surprising really. People are not willing to give up their vacations because they need vacations. Most people need to get away from all the stress the recession is causing. And thankfully, most people still have the means to take a leisure trip, even if it’s just one or two nights away from home.

I can happily say I fit into both of the statistics cited above. I have already taken two leisure trips this year and have another planned for November.

Knowing I have that trip ahead of me to look forward to is sometimes the only thing keeping me going forward on a day-to-day basis. That’s how important vacations are. Do you agree?

The survey also showed that 65% of those polled indicated the trip(s) they’ve either taken or are going to take are within the United States and further than a bordering state. That’s me again! My first and second leisure trips of the year were several states away. Even though one of the trips was just for one night, the fact that I was far from home provided the escape I needed. Not that I think you need to go several states away to escape. I live in New Jersey and I’m sure a few nights at the Jersey shore would offer a very nice escape! Thirty percent of survey respondents agreed, either having taken or planning a trip within their own state this year.

Only my first two trips of the year fit the non-bordering state statistic. My November trip will be out of the country. A little more than 40% of those surveyed by Travel Leaders also said that at least one of their trips was or will be international.

One statistic that my behavior differs from dramatically is what my average spending on leisure trips in 2009 was/will be. Nearly 75% of those surveyed said they would be spending the same or more (the actual number saying they were spending more, and not just the same, was only 27.3%). Instead, I fit in with the 16% who said they would be spending somewhat less this year.

Here's where, unfortunately, the economy and unemployment have had to impact my leisure trip plans. Not only am I spending less on the trips I do take, I am taking less trips. Last year my husband and I took several weekend trips. This year we’ve only taken two and I do not see how we can afford a third one. But like I said, I’ve got one big trip to look forward to and that’s all that really matters!

Finally, I thought the key reasons for taking leisure trips in 2009 were pretty interesting. Just over 70% said they needed rest and relaxation, while 48.9% said they needed to get away. It seems to me the two are almost the same, though I guess I always think “get away” before I think simply “rest and relaxation.” Also related to these two answers, were the 25.9% who said they take a leisure trip for the benefit of their mental/physical health. A little over 50% of respondents said they take a leisure trip every year (also true of my husband and me).

Where do you fit into these survey results? Have you taken at least one trip this year? Are you planning a trip for sometime between now and the end of the year? Are you spending more or less?

No comments:

Post a Comment