Thursday, September 3, 2009

Acupuncture for only $20!

I recently discovered an acupuncture place in New York City called "City Acupuncture of New York." Doesn't sound all that exciting right? There are probably a hundred places or more to go to get acupuncture in New York City? But how many of them cost between $20 and $40?

The philosophy behind City Acupuncture of New York is that acupuncture should not only be for the rich. It should be for everyone, and not only for just a few appointments but for as long, and as often, as people like. So, because they don't want money to keep people from reaping the benefits of acupuncture, they offer a sliding scale of $20 to $40. You chose what you can pay; they won't ask you to justify your choice.

To do this, City Acupuncture of New York provides acupuncture in a communal setting rather than a private one. Five to six people are usually being treated at the same time in an open space. There is no privacy beyond the fact that everyone there is in their own inner world, relaxing and concentrating on their own treatment and not interested in yours. Soft new age music does mask most of the conversation between the acupuncturist and the patient, so you really can't hear what someone else is being treated for and they can't hear what you're being treated for.

The acupuncturist on duty does not go into long medical questioning but instead asks a few questions about your main complaint, checks your tongue and pulse and decides on a course of action. This allows more people to be treated in a set amount of time. Rather than being at an acupuncturist for an hour to an hour and a half of which 20 to 30 minutes is spent talking about all your symptoms, you're there for an hour of which maybe 5 minutes is spent talking.

It's been more than five years since I was last at an acupuncturist and I've been wanting to go back to it for some time, but the price (and the fact that insurance doesn't cover it) have kept me away. But I have always found acupuncture to help me in the past and I always knew I'd go back to it as soon as I could. So finding a place that only costs $20 to $40 was all the excuse I needed.

I went for my first visit to City Acupuncture of New York two days ago and found it to be very relaxing. The atmosphere is very low-key, everyone speaks softly and the new age music and tinkling water fountain are soothing. My acupuncturist seemed capable and was quick and deft with the needle insertions. All the acupuncturists at the place are Licensed (L.Ac) and hold Masters' Degrees in Traditional Oriental Medicine.

It was strange seeing others getting their treatment, some reclining in suspended lounge chairs, others lying on tables. But I barely had time to register their presence before I was lying on the table with needles inserted and drifting off into my own space.

My biggest issue (and it may very well be just my "issue") with the place was its cleanliness. While the acupuncture needles were definitely sterile (one-use only) the coverings on the tables and chairs were not quite as clean as I would like. The pillow beneath my head was covered by only a new paper towel and I don't think the sheet I was lying on was being used by one person at a time. Of course I could be wrong about that; I didn't actually ask. And it wasn't that it looked dirty, it just looked worn, which of course could come from multiple washings I suppose. It just doesn't have the white, sterile feeling of a regular doctor's office that I usually find comforting.

However, two days later I'm feeling pretty good. I've had the most fantastic nights' sleep and am hoping the effects will stick with me. I've made another appointment for next week, though I had to switch to a different day and acupuncturist because availability fills up very fast.

If you've done acupuncture before but haven't been able to continue with it because of the $100-plus fees, I do recommend City Acupuncture of New York. However, if you've never tried it before and you're even just the least bit nervous about it, I'm not sure the place is for you. I'd probably suggest one or two visits to a private acupuncturist first to get used to the process before switching to City Acupuncture.

1 comment: