Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Is there such a thing as too many notebooks?

On the file cabinet next to my desk is a pile of loose notebook pages covered in my scribbled notes from the Poisoned Pen virtual conference several weeks ago. I took lots of notes during several online video and audio sessions -- all good stuff, important stuff, stuff I should know and take to heart in order to be a better writer.

But what am I supposed to do with these notes? Do I try to read and re-read them until I have my notes memorized? Do I stick them into a folder and file them away until the day I realize my file cabinets are too full and throw everything away?

How do I retain all this knowledge others have imparted to me in an orderly way, that I can refer back to?

I have the same question about all sentences I underline in books. For instance, I'm reading On Writing by Stephen King right now and I've underlined a lot! All well and good, I know I've read something good and so I underline it but now what? Tomorrow I'll have forgotten what I underlined? So how can I retain that knowledge?

I've been thinking that one idea would be to buy a notebook and transcribe all my notes, and all the underlined passages into the notebook. First of all, transcribing is a great way of reinforcing information. At least for me, when I re-write things I'm more apt to remember them.

I like this idea but then I think to myself, I'm going notebook crazy. I've already got one notebook that I write all my daily gratitude lists in (and I've got lots and lots of old notebooks with old gratitude lists on my bedroom bookshelf), plus I have another notebook for keeping track of my freelance and contract writing -- articles, hours, pay, etc.

Now I'm going to add a third notebook to the pile?

Oh, and actually I've got two other notebooks lying around that I use for taking notes when I'm doing interviews for articles or taking notes when I go to events. Those notebooks get smaller and smaller over time as I tear pages out.

But still, that means I'll now have five notebooks on my desk.

Oh wait! I've got another notebook tucked into a hanging file divider with essential facts about my characters and story ideas.

So that's six notebooks.

Is that crazy? Is that too many?

Do you use notebooks for keeping track of your life and/or work? What's in your notebooks?


3 comments:

  1. You could transcribe them into a digital database. This way you get the second writing to help you remember - and it suddenly becomes a searchable easy to access tome of all your important notes :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never even thought about doing it that way. It's not a bad idea, but I have to admit there's something about the physical act of writing notes that I really like. Now, if only there were a way to combine the two - physical writing with digital searchability!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well still take the notes on paper... just re transcribe them :). This way when the notebook is filled you don't need to keep it around - put it in the closet and keep it for emergencies.

    And there ARE these crazy digital pens that let you write on paper, and then it saves your writing digitally. Here is one example: http://www.livescribe.com/

    ReplyDelete