Thursday, November 5, 2009

Gratitude lists

When life is going really wrong, there is always something to be thankful for. At least that's what I tell myself even when I'm at my most depressed. Not only do I tell myself that but I force myself to write a list (at least five or six items strong) of things I'm thankful for. Believe it or not, it makes a difference.

As part of my morning routine, ever single day, I write a gratitude list. The idea was introduced to me by a friend who is very into self-improvement and I'm extremely grateful to her (ha ha) for bringing this important activity into my life. Waking up and being grateful very early on in my day helps me to get the day off to a positive start, no matter what else is going on around me.

Now, I won't lie and say it erases all the bad shit. It doesn't, it just helps me deal with it better. Nor, is it particularly easy on bad days. I often struggle to find something to be grateful for and I often resort to what I call comfort gratitudes such as "I am grateful for a warm sweater on a cold day," or "I am grateful for the soft comfort of fleece." They may be minor things, but when everything seems to be bad, it's nice to have a few good things.

On days when I'm in a good mood, gratitude lists really get my juices flowing and I'm more productive. They also help me to be accountable to myself. I like writing in my gratitude notebook, "I am grateful for 1000 words written yesterday," so I keep that in mind when I feel like pushing the computer away and blowing off writing for a day. I don't want to disappoint myself; I want something to be proud of the next morning when I write my gratitude list.

Gratitude lists can be small or long, about physical things or emotional, about day to day stuff or life issues, whatever you feel grateful for on any given day.

Here's my Gratitude list for yesterday:

I am grateful for five days junk food sober.
I am grateful for spending time with my sister and niece yesterday.
I am grateful for this day to finish my sixth article for my publishing outlet.
I am grateful for time alone in the apartment today to knock items off my to-do list.
I am grateful for the support of friends and family.
I am grateful for a well of patience within me.
I am grateful for a good night's sleep last night.
I am grateful for discovering and re-discovering music I like.
I am grateful for $15, for a mystery review I wrote, towards the 40th birthday safari trip I'm planning.

What are you grateful for?

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful for having a friend like you and your blog which has given me this new idea for getting starting every morning.
    I've been so exhausted by my boy who cries when I leave him at daycare; facing the ugly task of explaining my career accomplishments on paper for some anonymous group of peers to judge me on; and trying to publishing boring scientific articles.
    My list for the day:
    I’m grateful for:
    My best friend who writes this blog and who I miss dearly;
    My beautiful children and husband;
    Having a job when there are so many out of work;
    My new house and several new neighbors who have given us cookies, brownies, cupcakes and fruit ‘salad’;
    My husband and kids again for eating all the baked good so I won’t and my co-workers for eating the fruit salad;
    My sister and family promising to visit for Thanksgiving;

    Sharon W

    ReplyDelete