Wednesday, August 26, 2009

All those little things you want to do but never do

Do you have a list in your head of little things that you want to do, or be, or try before you die? Things that you think would make you a more well-rounded person or more fulfilled?

I do. There are so many things I am constantly deciding I'd like to add to my life in order to make my life fuller, richer, more fulfilling. For instance, today I read a post on the Women of Mystery blog, in which the poster of the day talks about a project she's discovered called the Letter Project. Very succinctly, the Letter Project pulls together authors letters (real paper letters) written about writing. Of course most of the comments then centered around letter writing, which is one of those things I've always wanted to make a part of my life.

Now, truth be told, I have actually succeeded on a small scale in doing this. I have a friend in England and we write each other hand-written paper letters about two or three times a year and have been doing so since 2004 (I think, if not, then 2005). I love writing my letters to Jennie and I love getting letters back. There is truly something exciting about opening a hand-written letter that has been delivered by mail, settling in on the couch and reading about a friend's life. It's a million times better than doing it by e-mail. I honestly believe that although Jennie and I may not know what's going on with each other on a daily basis, in some ways we know each other more deeply because we take the time to truly share the more meaningful events and our feelings with each other. Writing, and receiving, those letters has enhanced my life.

But letter writing isn't the only thing I've always wanted to make a part of my life. I'd like to learn how to make pots, on a potter's wheel, and do that on a regular basis. I'd like to garden and grow my own vegetables. I'd like to take the time to get to know my neighbors and the owners of the local businesses I frequent. I'd like to read the New York Times book reviews and the New York Review of Books. I'd like to go hiking more often on the weekends in the summer.

I could probably go on and tomorrow I'll probably think of a few more things I'd like to do. And, as with what I mentioned above, chances are I'll do none of them.

Partly its a matter of time. Although I'm not working now and have more time, I usually work (I do anticipate working again someday) and therefore don't have a lot of extra time to give to new things.

Partly its a matter of means. I live in an apartment so don't have access to a place to garden, and I don't know where there's anyplace in my local area to start doing pottery.

Partly its a matter of money. I find that a subscription to the New York Times is actually too pricey, especially now that we're living on one salary. And I'm sure if I did find a place to do pottery, it wouldn't be cheap!

Partly its a matter of "can't be bothered." Every time I go into a local shop or see a neighbor I think today is the day I should introduce myself, but I never do.

It's sad really because I think doing even one of the many things I'd like to do would make my life richer.

What are some of the things you've always wanted to do, or be or try?

Maybe on December 31 we should all make a real New Year's resolution to at least try to do one of the many things we've always wanted to. I'll let you know what I decide on.

No comments:

Post a Comment