Thursday, August 27, 2009

Three more airlines to charge for 2nd checked bag on international flights

Several months ago Delta became the first airline to charge for a second checked bag on some (i.e. most) international flights -- a whopping $50. At the time, I e-mailed them to let them know how disgusted I was with their policy and that they were losing my business. I was at the time a Silver member of their frequent flier program. I made the decision to switch my loyalty to another carrier, even though I know there may be times I have no choice but to fly Delta. But whenever I have a choice, I will avoid Delta when I can.

Then last week American Airlines announced that it too will begin charging $50 for a second checked bag on select international flights. I've already sworn off flying American Airlines, as I consider it one of the worst airlines out there. I believe they are the least reliable and have the worst customer service. Any time I am forced to fly American Airlines I cringe and so far, with almost no exceptions, every AA flight has been a disaster. The last time I flew them, my flights into and out of Newark were canceled. Unfortunately, I do still have more than 100,000 frequent flier miles from AA though and do maintain my balance by using an AA credit card, but once I've had the opportunity to use those miles (I'm hoping to use them to go to Africa some day), I plan to continue avoiding American Airlines as well.

Yesterday, US Airways announced that it is both upping the amount it charges for first and second checked bags on domestic flights but will also charge $50 for a second checked bag on international flights.

Also yesterday, Continental Airlines broke my heart when it jumped on the bandwagon of charging $50 for the second checked bag on ALL flights to Europe. I had hoped they would hold out a little longer but alas they are as greedy as the other airlines. It's sad for me because Continental is the airline that I have chosen to give my loyalty to whenever possible. I made that decision because they are the only airline that still offers food onboard for free. But it is getting harder and harder to justify my loyalty to them, especially as they have made the decision to join the Star Alliance, which is headlined by United Airlines (my second least favorite airline after AA).

The thing that kills me is that I truly believe that once this new fee takes hold, which it will as Delta had no trouble with it, airlines are going to start charging for the first checked bag on international flights, as well. And the thing is, they'll all do it, so I can't even give my loyalty to the most flier-friendly airline, because, with just a few exceptions like Southwest (which doesn't fly from my home airport) and JetBlue (with a limited number of flight destinations), there is no such thing as a flier-friendly airline!

So choosing an airline truly has become an act of choosing the lesser of all evils. And there's nothing we can do about it. I can not wait for the day when a real alternative to flying is discovered or invented. Airlines will see just how fast their passengers abandon them then.

Which is your favorite airline, or least favorite airline, and why? What do you think of the baggage fees?

1 comment:

  1. I flew US air the other day, and they actually charged me to change my seat.. I hate them now.

    ReplyDelete