Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Job application frustration

I applied for a job today. The job is beneath me, an assistant editor position at LIFE.com, but does sound like it could be interesting. The main responsibilities are managing the Travel and Animals channels on the Web site. I think I would enjoy that very much, even if it didn't bring in very much money.

But I know I will not get a call for an interview. How do I know? In spite of the fact that I'd be a perfect candidate for the job and fulfill all of their requirements I've got three things working against me. One, I most recently worked as a senior editor so I am over qualified. Two, I have worked primarily in the trade publishing world and consumer publications are incredibly prejudiced against trade writers. Three, my resume was most likely one of about 500 resumes Time Warner will receive for this job!

So what are the chances my resume will even get looked at? I'd say they're the same as my winning Mega Millions (I won $7 in last night's drawing by the way!).

In this new world of massive unemployment and online job applications, there is no way to make sure your resume stands out. No way to make sure that someone will even look at it. This is probably the 15th or so job I have applied for since I lost my job over a month and a half ago. I was qualified for every single job, fulfilled every single requirement, sent a great resume and cover letter for each one and, as of yet, I have not received a phone call for a single one!

What else am I supposed to do? When I'm just one of hundreds of people applying for a single job, how can I possibly expect anyone to call me? It's incredibly frustrating to know I am doing all the right things but also know none of that matters.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations. The jobs I have applied for were sort of a test...you must be able to do this...can you do this...how did you do this...why did you do this...what more can you do...
    When I've browsed through 'real' world infomation on landing a job I've read that the cover letter is the most important aspect of the resume. If you don't catch them with the cover letter they're not going to look any farther. Do online job ap's allow for cover letters, or do you just plug in info so that they can run the statistics to identify top canidates? I certainly know, reading your blogs and all, that you are creative enough to whip out a 'wow me' cover letter.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some online job app's allow for cover letters. Job apps that are via e-mails all require cover letters. But I figure even if you write a kick-ass cover letter, if your app isn't one of the very first they get, they're not even gonna read your cover letter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good thing I read this post. My good friend works at Time Warner. Email me your app and I'll see if she can put in a good word for you at HR. See my Help Me Help You article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This oddly sounds like a similar rant I have made many times over the past few months. It is pretty terrible out there, it seems the only way to be seen is to know someone there. I don't even know why these companies bother with posting jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For anyone who might be following this. With help from Suzanne's friend, my resume was looked at by Time Warner. And like I had feared, I was considered to be over qualified.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think Suzanne's friend could help me get a PA job at Time Warner? :p

    ReplyDelete